Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ringing in the new year with some Henna

Today I met up with an old friend of mine. While in the mall we took notice of one of the many hair threading salons that have been popping up in the valley. This one happened to offer henna. Recently I've found myself wanting to do things like wear nail polish and other girly things I didn't concern myself with. Henna was of course an inevitable part of this sudden urge to do more girly things. It was spontaneous really. We went in. Got henna on our hands and walked out as though our hands had been dipped into liquid nitrogen so that we wouldn't ruin the intricate designs that had been freshly made. When I was younger I wasn't sure if I'd ever want to do something so dramatic on my skin. I thought it almost looked dirty. Today though, I suddenly thought it would look beautiful and unique.
Hopefully I'm not upsetting anyone that normally only does this sort of thing for special occasions connected to their religion and culture. My friend felt that this could only bring exposure to another culture which can bring about respect and understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment